Sunday 31 July 2011

Unemployment can be fun…

My days of unemployment after the tour were long and tedious! With all my friends with proper jobs being at work, and most of my Starlight friends being at college, I had no-one to play with. My only income was from a few hours of cleaning houses, and the always-handy Job Seekers Allowance (cheers!), and with no jobs on the horizon, I was feeling pretty poor!

I had my first audition of the year in Nottingham; I met the lady who was in charge of the theatre company and she was lovely, and a friend was also to be auditioning that day, but unfortunately I didn’t see him, and didn’t get the part! This was also to be the first of my auditions where I would get lost and flustered just in time to go into the audition! I arrived in plenty of time and found the right street. However, I could not find the venue anywhere. I walked up and down the street three times before asking staff from the train station. They didn’t know either. I even asked a clueless policeman, all to no avail. I didn’t want to ring the number I was given because auditions were already taking place, but with 5 minutes to go, I dialled the number. The phone rang twice and then I spotted it, I was standing right outside! Typical! I ran up the stairs as my call was being returned, and almost burst through the door. Not my finest hour I’ll admit. Needless to say, it wasn’t the greatest audition, and it was another job to add to the ‘fail’ list.

I didn’t worry too much, as a couple of days later I was asked if I could do a couple of weeks of a primary schools tour for the company I had just finished with. I said yes, of course! But first, there was fun to be had! And first on the fun list, a hen night! One of my longest-running friends needed a good send-off so off we went pole dancing(!) followed by Mexican food and cocktails in Birmingham, lovely! We all had a proper giggle, and despite gaining a big bruise on one arm, I came our relatively unscathed... So I thought.

DSCF1479

The next day I was ridiculously excited as I was going up to Bury to see Adam for a whole 8 days! Woop! I tried my hardest to leap out of my bed until I realised that our pole dancing antics had almost left me paralysed! Every single muscle in my body ached, even ones I didn’t know I had! I had to endure 2 and a half hours of train journeying up to Manchester and then get the tram to Bury for another half an hour. Train and tram seats are not that comfortable at the best of times so the journey was less enjoyable than expected! But my excitement levels kept my spirits up, and when I finally saw Adam, it was worth it, despite the pain when I attempted to hug him!!

My week in Bury can be summed up in one word... Perfect! I know, I know, I sound like one of those gushing girls who I hate, talking about their men all the time, blah blah! But I hadn’t had a man in my life for so long that I don’t care! Adam’s mum was on holiday so we had the house to ourselves (and the dog!). Because we were both poor we didn’t really do much but it was lovely just getting away from everyone and everything and just relaxing. I also met his sister and her husband while I was there. Just as we were leaving the house to meet his sister, Adam told me that she hated his previous girlfriend so I was feeling quite nervous! But I had nothing to worry about, she was lovely! We even went to Primark together! We went bowling with them and out for drinks where I was introduced as ‘Adam’s girlfriend’!!! It was so strange hearing it but I was chuffed!

I helped him to learn some of his lines for his next tour, which would be taking him all over the country until September(!) and I didn’t know when I would be seeing him again. When it was time to go, yet again I cried like a loon because I didn’t want to go. He practically had to push me on the train to make me leave. But I’d had a good week and there were still more exciting moments to arrive...

Including my birthday party!! I had a joint party with the lovely Caroline from Starlight as our birthdays are only a week apart. We had it at Starlight Studios and of course we made it a themed party with fancy dress... Geeks! Everyone was so excited and went to town with their costumes! And I had the added bonus of getting loads of presents! Haha! It was brilliant! I got loads of nice new jewellery ready to take on holiday with me, bottles of wine, awesome! We played pass the parcel and pin the tail on the donkey! The feedback was immense, everyone loved it, people were saying it was the best party they had ever been to! (Obviously!!)

DSCF1606

And then came the moment I had been waiting for for 3 years... SKIATHOS!! I was to be celebrating my birthday in the sun, sending Lydia off on her merry married way, and finally getting a proper tan! Oh, and what a week it was! We made new friends, rediscovered old friends, drank far too many cocktails, lost the memory of half an evening, went on a boat trip to the film locations of ‘Mamma Mia!’ and had the most amazing time! Nobody wanted to go home, and for a while we got our wish- our flight was delayed by two and a half hours! We got to have an extra Greek meal in the sunshine and had a relatively lovely time, as far as airports go! But it was back to England, back to reality, and back to rehearsals....

DSCF1770DSCF1937DSCF1955

No comments:

Post a Comment