Tuesday 30 July 2013

A-Z of acting. Z is for...

Zzzzzz.....


Well, what a week last week was. It was an absolute rollercoaster ride and I haven't recovered in the slightest.

I kicked off the week with three consecutive days at my normal person job. As you might have read in last weeks post, it didn't start well. I had had a truly brilliant Sunday performing Much Ado twice at a stunning venue, with my family and friends watching and was feeling on top of the world. And then it all came crashing down on Monday morning when I faced reality. I cried from the moment I woke up, until half an hour into my shift when the customers were let in the gate. I was a wreck. Somehow I managed to get through the day, and the next two without too much of a fuss, but I wasn't my normal happy self.

I was partly excited but partly sad when Thursday arrived. I had the majority of the day to myself to prepare for the final show in Bedford, and there were quite a few tears rolling down my cheeks before I left home. I had packed my costumes, my props and my cards for my cast mates that contained various gushing soppy messages about how much I had enjoyed working with them all, and how much I was going to miss them.

I arrived at our final location, Harpur Square, and was intrigued by what I was faced with. We were actually going to perform on a stage! With lighting and microphones! We weren't used to this!! We planned our exits and entrances and got ourselves into costume before making our way to the backstage area. I handed out my cards solemnly, and received a plethora of hugs from everyone which cheered me up a bit!

For me, the show wasn't my best performance of the run, I was painfully aware that it was our last show, and despite wanting to give everything I had, I didn't want it to end. It absolutely sped through, and before I knew it, I was preparing to go on for my final scenes. And that's when it hit me. The tears started to flow. Thankfully I had to be upset in the scenes, otherwise the audience would have been very confused! When it came to my final few lines, my voice was breaking and the tears were definitely present again, but I hope it worked in the context of what I was doing!

There was a hasty packing up of props and costumes before we all made our final trip for a post-show drink at a local pub. Due to Bedford's insane parking, a few of us could only stay for one for fear of our vehicles being towed or ticketed, but we had a nice little laugh together and decided that we would all definitely meet up in approximately a month before parting ways. I don't know whether that will actually happen, but it made me happier knowing that there would be a chance of us all being together again and that it wasn't the end.

I hugged everyone goodbye at the pub, and myself, Hannah and Jacob strolled to our cars before heading our separate ways. I miss the show already, but I miss the people more. My tears started again as soon as I saw Jacob drive off in the opposite direction. He made the play so much fun for me. Not that everyone else didn't... Maybe it's because we played a couple, or maybe it's because we were the naughty pair in rehearsals who always thought the same thing and giggled like naughty children at the back of the room, but it felt like I truly found someone who understood me, and I'll miss him.

I didn't have time to mope about much, I woke up on Friday and had another show to prepare for! It was the latest Starlight dance show in Kettering and I had NOTHING ready! A quick scout around my bedroom, and a good rummage in my costume cupboard later and I was 75% ready! I had a mad dash around Kettering town centre for last minute fishnets, show pants and a bald cap(!) and I had everything. And then it began. The dress rehearsal.

Due to Much Ado, I had missed the only other costume runs of the show so I had no idea what to expect, other than what my fellow dancers had told me... that it was impossible. I pride myself on my ability to do a quick costume change, but even I was worried. I shouldn't have! I was on time for every single routine, perfect! I just had to learn what I actually had to do on stage now!

After a fairly successful dress, I drove home and began to sort out my costumes back into some sort of order again. It wasn't pleasant. Every single thing was damp with sweat, and screwed up beyond belief! The next day wouldn't be pleasant.

Annoyingly I couldn't get to sleep that night. I watched the clock as time ticked by, 1a, 2am, 3am... The last time I could be bothered to look was 3.30am. I had to be up at 8. I wasn't impressed.

It was an effort to get up in the morning but I did it, and the day began. The matinee went well, the audience were quite quiet, but we had no idea how they were going to react to the show so we just got on with it! As soon as the performance had ended I just sat on the floor in a heap. I had absolutely no idea how I was going to cope with doing it all again. I had pulled muscles in all of my limbs, I was limping around backstage like an injured animal, and had nothing left in the tank to give. It definitely wasn't my finest hour.

But before I knew it, it was show time again. The performer in me kicked in, and I seemed to forget any injury I had, and gave the performance of my life. How I did, no-one knows. The evening audience were a lot livelier, which spurred us all on, and we got a standing ovation at the end which was fabulous! My second one in a week, I could get used to this! ;)

Naturally everyone left quickly and I was one of the few who always stay behind to clear up after everyone, and by the time I got home it was 11.30pm. It was straight to bed, the only thing I took off were my false eyelashes!

There wasn't even time for a rest on Sunday! Thankfully I had booked the day off work, and I was glad I did. My alarm went off at 10am, and I could barely lift my head off the pillow. Absolutely everything hurt. I got out of bed (slowly) and had a look at the damage sustained. I was absolutely covered in bruises. Every muscle hurt, and I wasn't sure I was going to get through the day!

I pulled some clothes on and made my way back to the dance studio to be fitted for some clothes for a fashion show that is happening this weekend. I perked up when I got some pretty dresses to wear, but by the end of it I was fit for nothing again. I went home, had some dinner and fell asleep on my bed for a good hour. Bliss.

Then it was time to get straight back up again and get ready to go to our after-show party! I grabbed my Cheryl Cole costume from my cupboard, and joined the ranks for a good party at Kids Play! Haha!

It was early to bed for me again as I faced another four days straight at my normal person job... back to reality again.

I love being busy, and performing is my life, but I think I might have taken things a bit too far last week! It's Tuesday now and I'm still exhausted. But you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world! My summer has got off to a cracking start thanks to the beautiful people of Bedford and beyond that I have had the privilege of working with, and as always, dancing with my Starlight friends puts the smile right back on my face, especially when I see the photos afterwards!

I'm still super busy until next Tuesday, when I finally have nothing planned, but I bet I still end up running around like a loon!

I haven't had time to get sad that everything is over yet, I know I will when I finally get to sit down for more than half an hour, but I'm happy with how things have gone so far this summer. I thought that last summer couldn't be topped, and it hasn't been yet, but this year is running a pretty close second!

Watch this space...

Nxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment