Sunday 2 October 2011

The good, the bad and the downright embarrassing...

Last week was a funny one. It got off to a bad start. Last weekend I was feeling miserable, so as any girl knows, a change in the hair department can work wonders, so I grabbed a bottle of dye and became a redhead again. I like it! Along came Monday. I had an average day of cleaning people’s houses, then I had a couple of dance classes in the evening, starting with pointe class. Just before the lesson started I received a text message asking me to check my emails. I did, and sadly the email in question informed me that they play I was due to be in next month has been cancelled. I didn’t think much of it during my lesson but in the hour that I had to spare afterwards it hit me that I had turned down a very well paid job in order to be in this play, had missed out on auditioning for lots of other jobs that would have clashed with the dates of the play, and that I had no job on the horizon and no-one would be getting Christmas presents this year. I was absolutely gutted. I went home and cried. I found myself wondering if this was the end of my acting career? Did I really want to carry on down a route where I wasn’t guaranteed any work at all? I wore myself out crying and went to bed, surely things would seem better in the morning? But then I woke up and realised that it was Tuesday. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very grateful of the work that I have in my cleaning job, but Tuesdays just take it out of me! I start working at 10.30 and finish at 5.30. That’s a lot of cleaning! I slumped down the stairs and made my breakfast ready to face the day, got dressed and left the house to start work. And then I got an email. Offering me an audition for Friday! Yessss! Things were looking better already! I spent the day while working deciding on what song I was going to sing at the audition. Huzzah! The rest of the day went quite quickly, I bought a new outfit for the audition and got some good bargains in town! Things were looking peachy! After a good dance class in the evening I was definitely ready for bed, Tuesday had been long but great! Wednesday. Ah, sweet Wednesday! I told you how much Tuesdays take it out of me... I didn’t wake up until 10.50am! It was amazing! And not only had I had the mother of all sleeps, I woke up to another email offering another audition!! This was getting brilliant! I only had 2 hours of work that day too so I was chuffed! I went shopping again and got some last-minute costume bits for the Starlight show... all successful, this week was just getting better and better! I did feel a bit sombre in the evening though... I raced around to Jacc’s house as we watched the Steps reunion documentary. As huge Steps fans we were so excited about the reunion but I was almost in tears when they spoke of how much they disliked each other and all of the secrets that came out of the woodwork! Shocked! But still, we kept the faith as we know that there’s a new album and single coming out, and fingers crossed they will tour again- I’m so there!! Thursday brought with it a couple of cleaning jobs which went quite quickly, and I spent a lovely afternoon with Natasha in Corby shopping in Primark!! My mood was getting better by the day so I had no problem spending cash that probably should stay in my account! Oops! I got some proper bargains, and we had a good giggle trying on all-in-one support underwear that we thought we could wear in the show but we ended up looking like overgrown babies in hideous flesh coloured leotards! Not a good look. But the highlight of the day had to be when we arrived at the first job of the day. I was just picking out some cleaning products from the box when the familiar ‘ping’ of my BlackBerry told me that I had an email. I read it, and would you believe it... Keith Chegwin was now following me on Twitter! :D I was so excited! But when I told people later that night, nobody seemed to know who he was. Bubble burst. And then came Friday. Audition day! Florence had been helping me the previous night with my song (Abba’s ‘Money Money Money’) and I had accidentally left my phone in the Starlight studio (turned out it was inside the piano!) so I had to make a trip back there to retrieve it, as well as my bi-weekly trip to the job centre. Appointments done, phone collected and song rehearsed, I popped myself on the train and off I went to London town in my new outfit. I found the audition location 90 minutes early so had a little wander around the town before settling down in a shady spot on the street to eat a sandwich whilst trying to battle my nerves. I was terrified, this was potentially my last shot at getting a pantomime this year, I couldn’t screw this one up! Yet again it was for Cinderella(!), surely I knew what was expected of me this time. I walked into the building and was shown where to go to wait, walked around and found myself face to face with one of the girls who had made it into the top 5 of Kettering’s ‘Search for Cinders’ competition. Brilliant. I tried to ignore the fact that she had got further than me, and focus on the fact that she didn’t get it either (haha!) and this was a new job and mine for the taking!! A couple of girls went in before me, and then it was my time! I followed the lady down the corridor to the audition room, pushed open the door, it swung open... and the door handle came off in my hand! :/ Time seemed to stand still for a while before I uttered the famous words “I think I’ve broken your door”. Thankfully everyone in the room laughed and said what a fantastic entrance it was! I relaxed after that, it couldn’t get worse! My song went well and then it was time to read some script. I read opposite a man who was playing Buttons. It was only one side of A4 long, very easy text, and at the very end it clearly stated ‘she kisses him’. Which I did. At which point he got very flustered and didn’t quite know what to do! It was all a very bizarre experience! But I came out positive of at least one thing... that I’d be remembered for at least one thing... even if it’s only the door! I wonder if they got out..... Nxx

No comments:

Post a Comment