Wednesday 27 March 2013

A-Z of Acting. H is for...

Hope.

I think many actors would give up if they didn’t have hope that they would continue to get work and be successful in their careers.

I’ve said before about how often actors get rejected for jobs, and yet those dedicated enough continue to slog away every day to chase their dreams. It’s all about hope.

The week before last, as regular readers will know, I attended an open evening for a job at Wicksteed Park, Kettering’s theme park. I had my interview on Monday… and got the job! I was really happy once I received the text message, and immediately, like most people living in this day and age, I wrote a Facebook status expressing my joy. A few minutes later, one of my directors commented on it regarding doing Shakespeare this summer.

Last summer I performed in ‘The Merry Wives of Windsor’ around Bedfordshire, and I was hoping to be able to perform in this years show too. Last year the performances were in June, so I thought that if that was the case this year, and I was successful in auditioning, then I might be able to have the same fun again, as the park doesn’t open full time until July. I found out that the shows this year are in July. I couldn’t believe it!

Of course, nothing in life is guaranteed, but I was gutted that I could be missing out on the chance to act again. I was so happy that someone finally employed me, as I’ve been without money for so long, but now I might have to choose between that job, and doing the thing that I’m trained for and love above everything. My mood plummeted.

I can never stay in a bad mood for very long, and I just had to pick my frown up off the floor and hope for the best. I’m allowed holiday at the park, and I’m probably not going to be working there every day of the week, so there’s still a chance that I might be able to do the play, especially if rehearsals are in June.

As far as problems go, it’s not a huge deal. People have to make much tougher decisions every day. I’m pretty sure that if I’m unable to do the play, I’ll still work again, it’s not like my acting career will come to an end just because there’s one show that I would have loved to have been in but couldn’t. I’ll hopefully be making a nice pile of cash over the summer, providing that we get one and the snow stays away! Just think of all the auditions all over the country that I could get to with that money!
That’s the way to think about it. You’ve just got to keep hoping. Things will turn out ok :)

Nxxx

Facebook: Natalie Castka Actor Twitter: @nataliecastka

No comments:

Post a Comment