Friday 6 September 2013

Acting limbo...

Ugh. Right now I’m in actors no mans land and it’s frustrating!

I have two potential projects that would have me sorted for the rest of the year, but both are still not 100% confirmed and I’m starting to get concerned.

One is my secret project that is happening in December. Today I have had further information regarding this project so I’m not as concerned by it as I was. However, earlier this week, I had to make a decision around it that made me feel quite ill. Regular readers may remember that a couple of posts back, I had an audition for panto and got the job. I had secured the audition for this before my secret project was offered to me, but once I had found out about the secret project, I wasn’t too fussed by the audition.

This always happens to me, if I really want a job, chances are I won’t get it, but if there’s something that I’m just going along to without having many thoughts about it, I’ll get the job, no problem.
I received an email from the panto company last weekend asking if I was still interested in the job, and later that day, I had to reply to say that I wouldn’t be taking it after all. I explained fully my secret project and said that I hoped we could work together in the future.

It wasn’t until a couple of hours later that I realised my reason for not working with them was probably the most outrageous thing she had ever read as an excuse for not working for them, but it was too late.

The thought of turning down acting work initially sounded... not fun, but felt slightly good, I was in demand and had to make choices of who to work for, but as I clicked ‘send’ I felt sick. What if my secret project fell through? I had just turned down a job where I could make a nice bundle of cash ready for Christmas and the new year, for a project where I’m going to make no money at all. I know in my heart that I’ve made the right decision but it was absolutely terrifying.

I also had to turn down another audition that I had booked in for this Saturday. Well, I didn’t have to, but I didn’t think it would be worth wasting people’s time turning up for an audition for a job that I knew I wouldn’t be taking. I was gutted though, it was for panto in Sevenoaks, where if successful, I’d be working alongside Karl Kennedy from Neighbours! Who wouldn’t want that?!? Sad times.


I’m now also waiting to hear back from another audition that I had a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t have the appropriate documents to hand when I went for my audition, and was told that if successful, I would need to show them before I started the job. Fair enough. I received a message from them last week asking me to bring them down. I wondered if this was a good sign, they didn’t specify whether I had got the job or not. I emailed them a scanned copy and explained that I couldn’t get down there due to work restrictions on my normal person job. I was told that they would need to see them in the flesh, ‘once we have this we will then be able to send out your contract to you’. I saw this as a good sign, but still hadn’t been officially offered anything.

I travelled down yesterday with the things I needed, and after a prompting email from myself, received confirmation that things had been received and were with the correct department but I’m still none the wiser! I would absolutely love the job, and the cash would be a fabulous addition to my pot for my secret project, but I’d just like to know what’s going on!

Do I keep applying for acting work as I haven’t officially got anything? Do I apply for more normal person jobs that I’d only need for a month or so? I just don’t know what to do!

If people could just respond to me, that would be lovely, it’s not too much to ask is it?!?

Nxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment