Friday 15 May 2015

What's going on?

I'm very confused right now. At the current moment of typing, there are 8 days, 3 hours and 16 minutes until the first performance of one of my shows. And I'm really quite calm.

I don't know why.

Yesterday I gave up my cleaning job, meaning that (hopefully) I now no longer work 7 days a week. I was quite looking forward to getting some sleep. Apparently my body was having none of that. I was up until 1am talking to one of my friends, fell asleep pretty much straight away, only to wake up at 7.30am. I'm the girl that has to have 8 hours sleep or I'm unbearable to be around. Hmmm.

I lounged about a bit, before wandering downstairs for some breakfast, did the washing up, put some clothes in the washing machine, had a shower, got dressed, took about half an hour to put my make up on whilst watching the latest episode of 'Elementary', and have spent the last 30 minutes reading other people's blogs. 

Dare I say it, it's weird having nothing to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying not having a mountain of things to get through, but it feels strange. Everything is out of my hands right now.

Every costume is ready, I'm waiting for the arrival of my set so I can't do anything about that right now. Even when things are going missing I'm remaining calm. This is a very strange feeling. I know I'm power crazy when it comes to organisation, but to feel this relaxed is just bizarre.

When I had the idea of putting on two different shows on the same day, I thought I was a genius. Then when I started work on them, I thought I was an idiot. But you know what, I'm starting to think I'm a genius again. Separating the cast means that yes, I've sort of had double the work, but I've not had to co-ordinate rehearsals to get everyone together, I've got two self-contained shows and they're looking really good. I've still got a week to go, and almost everything is done.

I've had sleepless nights, working all hours to get things done around working all of my other jobs, but I think all of the stress has paid off. I'm ready. And I've only had half a breakdown over the shows this time. When I put on 'Oliver Twist' last year, I had a breakdown at least once a month, but it's not really happened this time.

My cast are working so hard, especially my Peter Pan crew. The entire PP cast are 10 years old or younger and their performances are flawless. And I can't take any of the credit for it. Their enthusiasm is amazing. I know some of them were initially disappointed with their roles, but they have all embraced what they have been given and are working together so well. When rehearsing their bows a couple of weeks ago, they were all cheering each other on, and they were genuinely so proud of each other. I honestly can't wait to show them off to their audiences. Not only are they incredibly talented, they are the most kind children I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They help each other out during rehearsals, and are willing to do anything for each other, especially for the good of the show. I don't have any children of my own, but I would be incredibly proud if any of them were mine. They are a credit to their parents, and such a pleasure to teach. 

Last Sunday I had a rehearsal with the majority of them, and their performances honestly brought tears to my eyes, and I knew what was coming! The whole rehearsal process for this show has gone so quickly, it honestly feels like Oliver Twist was five minutes ago, but I have loved it. I have seen them develop as actors, and to watch their characters relationships develop into something beautiful has been very special indeed. 

I'm secretly hoping that the audience will cry(!) and I thought that my script might be thing to do that (hello, massive ego!) but I was so very wrong. I just put words onto paper. Those kids have brought it to life in a truly magical way.

I've had to sacrifice a few things that I wanted to have in the show, but I know that their performances will more than make up for it, and I hope that they get the audience reactions that they thoroughly deserve. They are all stars. 

Here's to our Neverland adventures! :)

Nxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment