Sunday 26 May 2013

A-Z of Acting: Q is for...

Quality.

Every actor wants to be good at what they do, and getting recognition for their work is rarely a slap in the face. No matter who you are reading this, I can pretty much guarantee that at some point in your life you will have watched something, either at the theatre, or on film or television, and thought something along the lines of, "Wow, he/she was really good in that". If I asked you who your favourite actor or actress is, you would probably have an answer.

A good film will stir up emotions in you, and make you want to be part of the world you're watching. It sweeps you up with it and makes you forget everything else in the world, for a couple of hours.

That's what I had this week. I took myself and my lovely friend Hannah to see 'The Great Gatsby'. I've not read the book, but the trailer completely grabbed me and I knew I had to see it. I knew that I would like it, as it was directed by Baz Luhrmann, and I love all of his films, but I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did on first viewing.

Of course it helped that Leonardo DiCaprio was in it, I'm not going to lie, he's still a very good looking man! But a good actor can make you forget about how they look and make you a part of their story, and he did just that.



I won't ruin the story for anyone who hasn't seen it and wants to, but I completely believed everything he did in the film, well, the whole cast were amazing. It was another one of those moments where I see something so brilliant that it pulls my heartstrings so much because that's what I want to be doing. I want to make people feel what I felt during that film, I want to dress up in different clothes, and to get lost in another world myself.

It's just so infuriating that I don't feel that I'll ever get the chance. I turn 28 on Saturday, and although I don't feel that old, to look at that number on paper makes me feel like I've missed my chance and it's gutting.

This week I sorted myself out and emailed 27 agents asking for representation. I've had 3 replies. One reply was an automated response as someone was on maternity leave, and I also had two rejections. Yet again I'll be playing the waiting game, refreshing my inbox every few minutes to see if I have any replies, but I'm pretty sure if I get any more, they'll still be rejections.

Still, if everyone gave up on what they wanted to do, no-one would get anywhere would they?

I'll just have to keep going until I get my moment on film with Mr DiCaprio...



Nxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment